We have been dedicated to delivering visionary oak framed buildings since 1987.
As pioneers of exceptional timber engineering, you can find the work of Carpenter Oak in buildings across the UK and overseas.
The original team of owners championed design and craft across timber construction. Their knowledge was gained through the study and repair of traditional timber buildings. They developed an understanding of the historical use of green timber and gained the confidence to build new structures. This knowledge continues to grow, transferring skills to contemporary designs and true innovation. All at Carpenter Oak continue to put professional creativity at the heart of this vibrant company.
The Carpenter Oak timeline…
- Dec 10 1987 – Carpenter Oak and Woodland incorporated, based solely in Wiltshire.
- 1988 – Seagull House constructed in the South Hams – replacing a 1950s bungalow.
- 1991 – Lamper Head constructed one mile from Seagull House.
- 1992 – Fire at Windsor Castle, which we would go on to help restore.
- 1995 – Devon yard set up.
- 1999 – Scotland yard is established – temporarily named ‘New Scotland Yard.’
- 2001 – Carpenter Oak Ltd. incorporated in Devon – independently run from Carpenter Oak and Woodland.
- 2001 – The second series of Grand Designs is broadcast, featuring the Cruciform House.
- 2005 – Work begins on restoring the Shackleton and Scott huts in Antarctica.
- 2007 – The National Self Build and Renovation Centre opens its doors in Swindon.
- 2008 – The frame for the Show Barn is raised in our Devon yard.
- 2012 – Orchard House is completed and made available for client appointments as a Show Home
- 2015 – Carpenter Oak and Carpenter Oak and Woodland reunite under the Carpenter Oak name.
- 2016 – Our third consecutive Build It award for Best Oak Frame
- 2017 – Carpenter Oak becomes an employee owned business.
- 2017 – A transatlantic collaboration sees us raise an oak frame in Montana, via Vancouver Island.
- 2017 – The Wolfson Tree Management Centre at Westonbirt wins four RIBA awards.
- 2018 – The Brixton Department Store wins two RIBA awards
- 2019 – Work begins on-site at the British Normandy Memorial
We combine technical design, master craftsmanship and exquisite materials to create stunning spaces. We pioneered the use of structural timber for sympathetic restoration across the UK, and for over 30 years we have continued to develop innovative techniques to lead the way in the timber framing industry. Thanks to the durability of hardwoods, many timber framed buildings have stood the test of time. Oak framing, timber engineering and integrated glazing are now firmly in the repertoire of the modern architect. This has also enabled a new generation of self-builders to follow their dreams.
With a uniquely skilled team unmatched in the sector, Carpenter Oak started the journey to employee-ownership in 2017. This means that employees have an increasing role in how the company develops in the future.
Thank you for sending a team who were a pleasure to have around – they were courteous, informative and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble and they worked together quietly and methodically. We were in awe of their skills and still are. Thank them for us – and above all, thank you, for our beautiful oak building.
I and K Walker, Clients
On behalf of the site team at the manor house in Dorset I would like to thank you and your employees for the outstanding quality and team effort shown. Many aspects of this contract were challenging and of a complex nature; therefore your co-operation and commitment has been a big factor in achieving a successful outcome on this project.
Ernerst Ireland Construction
Thank you for completing the repair to our A-frame at such short notice. We really appreciated your company’s holistic approach to our predicament. John, Justin, Odie and all were a credit to your company, not just in terms of their building abilities, but also they were just so nice to have around.