Client: Friends of Windmill Gardens and Lambeth Council
Location: Brxton, London
Architect: Squire & Partners
Materials: Douglas fir Frame
Structural Engineer: Heyne Tillett Steel
Main Contractor: Logan's Construction
Before the industrial revolution, the boroughs of a now sprawling city featured close to three-hundred windmills.
At one stage, Lambeth alone had 12 windmills producing wholemeal and ground flour, including the mill situated in what is now the heart of Brixton. Built in 1816 in open fields dotted with small agricultural buildings, today Brixton is London’s only working windmill.
Restored to operational use by Lambeth Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2011, the addition of the new timber framed education and community centre will help secure the future of this local landmark.Read more