For over 30 years, Carpenter Oak has consistently redefined what it means to build with timber. Our values, experience and creativity have made us award-winning specialists in the design and handcrafting of purposeful and beautiful buildings.
We are passionate about building innovative and challenging timber framed structures and we are always looking for new and exciting projects throughout the UK and beyond. As a member of our diverse and dynamic team, you can expect opportunities to grow and develop in your role, as well as the chance to work in a truly unique environment.
Carpenter Oak are looking for an experienced Production Manager to join our Devon based team.
As a business on a journey to Employee Ownership, we value people who are friendly, problem solvers and who exhibit independent drive. Your ability to coordinate, collaborate and support our teams in line with company values, vision and budgets is essential.
You will be responsible for the management of a large team and the day to day production operations, ensuring a smooth running of projects through robust planning, calm focus and exceptional organisation.
Carpenter Oak handcrafts bespoke, architecturally unique timber frame buildings, so a love of architecture is essential.
Job Title: Production Manager
Hours of work: 42 Hours a week (8am – 5pm).
Location: Office based, with the flexibility to work from home.
Contract type: Permanent
Reporting to: Managing Director
Renumeration and benefits:
Rate of pay: £30k – £36k per annum DOE
Annual leave: 20 days holiday p/a plus bank holidays (usually 8 days).
Learning and development: Opportunities for learning and development.
Why work for us?
● Work in a unique and rural setting with some great people.
● Additional 2 days annual leave after 5 years service.
● A match-funded Stakeholder Pension Scheme.
● A subsidised personal accident/income protection insurance scheme.
● Free tea and coffee and beer o’clock every Friday.
● A programme of social events.
● Free firewood.
● Managing a team in Devon and a remote team based at our Scotland yard you’ll have exceptional interpersonal skills.
● Supervise and manage a carpentry team of 25, including carpenters, glazing team and yardsperson.
● Monitoring workload and providing solutions to ensure targets are met and risks are mitigated.
● Holding weekly operations meetings to ensure workflow is appropriately managed.
● Identify and implement opportunities for improvement on efficiency, quality or health and safety.
● Produce monthly reports covering production performance and workload.
● Approximately bi monthly trips to Scotland yard (with other team members) and travel to local sites & ad-hoc travel across the UK.
● Able to and interested in physical work on build projects in the workshop and on site.
● Monitor employees performance, coach, mentor and support members of the team offering regular feedback.
● Working with others to ensure training plans are implemented and time is allocated within the production schedule for this.
● Managing short term production schedules, allocation of teams and resources and working with the MD on long term production.
● Coordinating project programme into a master company program. Feeding back to project managers and designers where changes are needed.
● Once a job is in the pipeline – set up the job ready for the carpentry team including:
- Liaise and delegate tasks to project managers and health and safety manager, to ensure suitable preparation for jobs is complete.
- Work with the wider project team to ensure tasks are completed including drawings, engineering & quotes are on time and in line with the company’s values.
- Managing stock of timber and fixings, including purchasing and rotation.
- Procurement of materials – ensuring adequate time between deliveries of materials and commencement of manufacture.
- Prior to the start of any work the production manager is responsible for holding briefing meetings with the sales person, designer and team leader.
● On completion of work the production manager is responsible for holding debriefing meetings with all parties.
● Provide feedback on performance across all projects (via company software) to the Operations team.
● On some occasions the Production Manager will take on jobs from a sales person and liaise with clients on timing, programme and finance related matters.
● Production manager will also manage the glazing team’s workload, production schedule and procurement of materials.
● Oversee yard buildings maintenance; ensuring the buildings are kept to a good working condition.
Essential knowledge, experience & general skills:
● Exceptional organisational skills.
- Comfortable working with spreadsheets and cloud software.
- Able to use technology to support teams in Devon, Scotland and around the country.
● Juggle a high volume of workload to ensure project preparation is completed on time.
- Able to work under pressure while remaining calm within the team.
● Proven track record of people management.
- Ability to support colleagues in a friendly, professional manner.
- Able to have difficult/productive conversations when needed.
● Ability to work with multiple stakeholders.
- Including clients, internal colleagues, timber merchants, hauliers, builders, and subcontractors.
● Understand construction drawings and details.
● Able to be on call out of hours when teams are on site to ensure support is given when needed.