We have a rare opportunity to join our highly regarded team of expert frame designers. Based at our yard in South Devon and working alongside our experienced team, you will develop your knowledge and skills, with the ultimate goal of being able to confidently design your own complex timber structures.
Working for Carpenter Oak is more of a vocation than a job. For us, it’s all about the right kind of people and we try to offer them a fully rounded lifestyle choice, to live and work hard in a beautiful part of Devon.
Given the right person, we develop, train and help you build a long term career as a frame designer. As well as a CV, it’s just as important to also send a cover letter telling us a little about yourself – what it is about timber frames that’s important or interesting to you, and what appeals to you about working with us in a geographical sense – whether you’re a local or reading this from the other side of the world.
Our work covers the full spectrum of timber builds, from major heritage projects through to exciting contemporary timber engineering schemes; both residential and commercial. This is an opportunity to learn and grow fast, in an energetic and committed environment.
If you want to join a progressive, increasingly employee owned business, which is setting out its plans for the next twenty years, we want to hear from you.
Job Title: Junior Frame Designer.
Hours of work: 42 hours per week (Monday to Friday).
Location: Based at our yard near Totnes, South Devon.
Contract type: Permanent (subject to the successful completion of a 3 month probationary period).
Reporting to: Senior frame designers
Rate of pay: £20-25k (dependant on experience)
Annual leave: 20 days per year + statutory bank holidays (usually 8 days)
General characteristics and skills
- Passion for design, timber, carpentry and ecological building.
- A robust knowledge of AutoCAD and a genuine interest in timber architecture.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self motivated, a good problem solver and able to work on own initiative.
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritise tasks without supervision.
- Flexibility to undertake tasks outside of the general role.
- Open and honest.
Technical skills and ability:
- Experience of the construction industry is desirable.
- Ability to interpret architectural / engineering drawings.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Understanding of traditional and contemporary carpentry techniques.
- Robust knowledge of AutoCAD is essential.
- Any experience of using other CAD packages such as Revit and Sketchup would be advantageous.
- Good proficiency in Microsoft and Google Drive.
- A full UK driving license.
Learning and development:
- Any necessary on the job training will be provided.
- Regular training and performance reviews.
- You will be expected to start working in the carpentry workshop for a period of 1-3 months, in order to get a fuller understanding of our processes.
- Stakeholder pension scheme administered and match funded by employer up to 10%.
- Subsidised personal accident/income protection insurance scheme.
- Profit share bonus.
- Free firewood when stocks allow.
How to apply: Please email your CV and a cover letter, along with any examples of your design work to [email protected]
Closing date for applications: Friday 26th February 2021