Carpenter Oak Group is the result of the merger of Carpenter Oak and Woodland and Carpenter Oak.
The two companies share common roots stretching back to 1987 and, although essentially still in the same field, were operating independently for several years during which time each company developed its own strengths. The decision to re-unite means we work closely together to offer clients our combined experience and expertise – the breadth and depth of which is, we believe, unparalleled in the industry and sees our operation in production across four yards in Devon, Cornwall, Scotland and Wiltshire.
Our commitment is to maintain the highest quality of materials and craftsmanship and we have always aimed to provide exceptional service, individual solutions tailored to the needs of each client. We aim to make your whole build as smooth as possible, supporting you, guiding you and offering technical support throughout the project.
Operating in a modern building industry means that these support functions are more important than ever. Our design department works closely with your architect and engineer to ensure the detailing is right and our project management team ensures compliance with today’s stringent regulatory framework for the safe, smooth and successful raising of your frame. We also work closely with other suppliers to provide joinery, SIPS panels and building works where appropriate.
Our journey into employee ownership has seen us develop into a company that has in excess of 70 employees based over 4 UK locations with our head office in Devon. The success of Carpenter Oak is now shared with all employees. We influence our own destiny, choose our direction and lead our growth. We cultivate new opportunities, encourage entrepreneurialism and look towards the future.
“I believe we have a responsibility to involve people in the business, for it to be their business. People’s energy creates the success of the company, it is only right that they share that success”
30 years in the making – the Carpenter Oak Group timeline…
- Dec 10 1987 – Carpenter Oak and Woodland incorporated, based solely in Chippenham.
- 1988 – Seagull House constructed in the South Hams – replacing a 1950s bungalow.
- 1991 – Lamper Head constructed one mile from Seagull House.
- 1992 – Fire at Windsor Castle, which we would go on to help restore.
- 1995 – Devon yard set up.
- 1999 – Scotland yard is established – temporarily named ‘New Scotland Yard.’
- 2001 – Carpenter Oak Ltd. incorporated in Devon – independently run from Carpenter Oak and Woodland.
- 2001 – The second series of Grand Designs is broadcast, featuring the Cruciform House.
- 2005 – Work begins on restoring the Shackleton and Scott huts in Antarctica.
- 2007 – The National Self Build and Renovation Centre opens its doors in Swindon.
- 2008 – The frame for the Show Barn is raised in our Devon yard.
- 2012 – Orchard House is completed and made available for client appointments as a Show Home
- 2014 – Carpenter Oak Cornwall established.
- 2015 – Carpenter Oak and Carpenter Oak and Woodland reunite under the Carpenter Oak name.
- 2016 – Life Space Cabins established to cater for cabins and small spaces.
- 2016 – Our third consecutive Build It award for Best Oak Frame – Hart House.
- 2017 – Carpenter Oak becomes an employee owned business.
- 2017 – A transatlantic collaboration sees us raise an oak frame in Montana, via Vancouver Island.
- 2017 – The Wolfson Tree Management Centre in Westonbirt wins four RIBA awards.
Watch this space! After thirty years, we’ve completed thousands of projects and the group continues to grow from strength to strength, with our recent merger ensuring that we combine our proven expertise from engineering and commercial builds to domestic and community projects.
• Domestic buildings: new builds, extensions, outbuildings.
• Public projects
• Traditional oak framing
• Highly bespoke contemporary structures
• Timber Engineering
• Glazing services
• Conservation work
From top left: Adam Milton, Charley Brentnall, and Paul Kirkup reunite after 25 years; Paul, Nik, Stuart, Lee, Adam, and Charley meet up at Hooke Park; Preparing for a day of pruning.